instagram

Excerpt #5 - August 16

Wednesday, August 18, 2010


I remember every look upon your face
The way you role your eyes, the way you taste
You make it hard for breathing
‘Cause when I close my eyes and drift away
I think of you and everything’s okay
And finally now, believing...

As the chorus started to play, Avalie rolled onto her stomach and furiously dug her face into her pillow. She slightly lifted her head and gave the radio the cut-eye. “You just had to play that song, didn’t you”. Avalie realized she was talking to an inanimate object. She was officially going crazy. She rolled back and stared at the ceiling. She was still thinking about what Roo had said to her the night before.

Axel had thrown a huge party for her 20th birthday bash at her cottage up in northern Ontario. Everyone who was anyone was there. Avalie enjoyed herself inside for a bit, but as the night grew longer she found herself strolling alone in the field out back. Beyond the partying beat, Avalie had found a peaceful serenity with the moon just peaking through the tops of the trees and breathing in the fresh forest air. She closed her eyes to savour the moment. All of a sudden she heard a snap of a twig. Someone had followed her outside. She cautiously turned around and saw a familiar figure. It was Roo. “Oh, it’s just you”, Avalie said relieved. “I didn’t know you were in there.”“I wasn’t. I just got here. Axel told me you went for a walk outside, so I came to look for you. Mind if I join?”

Avalie and Roo strolled along, the moonlight guiding the pathway, leading them deeper in the forest. Roo cleared his throat, “I’ve been meaning to talk to you about what happened a while back.”
Avalie had to think before she realized he was referring to their adventure at High Park. Since then, they had spent so much more time together.

He paused for a moment, then hesitated, “ I know how people look at me, Ava. People see me as the guy who doesn’t want to settle with a girlfriend cause I go around giving attention to what seems like every girl in the world.”
It was true. Avalie had noticed how friendly Roo was with the ladies. But as a friend, she had been able to look past that.
“But lately, there’s only been one girl on my mind.”Avalie froze.
“Roo, wait.”
“Ava, just let me finish. I know you still think about James ok. I know you’re not completely over him. But I love spending time with you. You make me laugh like no one else does. You make me realize that you can find joy in the little things in life. You are one of the most beautiful people I have ever met”, he slowed down, “...and you look at me like no one else does. You see a different side of me that no one has ever tried to look for.”
Avalie stared at him.
“Ava, I want you to be mine. I want you to be my girlfriend.”
Avalie looked away as she blinked the tears from her eyes.
“Roo, we should really start heading back to the party...”
“Ava...”
“Roo, I can’t.”
Roo didn’t like Ava pushing him away so quickly. “Ava, I know its cause of James. I get that. But why can’t you just let it go and move on? Everyone’s been telling you that he’s not coming back. And you tell me all the time how much you doubt him. You’re too busy waiting for someone who’s not coming back! I don’t think you realize that you build a wall around yourself so no one else can come near you!”

She could not believe what she was hearing. She trusted Roo with all that, but she didn’t expect him to use it against her.
“Well it's not like I built this wall to keep people out! At first it was cause I didn’t want anyone else but James! But now it’s just there ...just waiting for someone who cares enough to try and knock it down!”, Avalie shouted back, tears running down her face.

Roo calmed himself down. “Ava, what do you think I’m doing.” He pulled her in and wiped the tears from her face. “Okay, let’s go back to the cottage.”

As they re-entered the party, the DJ had already slowed everything down. Two Is Better Than One played through the speakers. Roo led Avalie to the dance floor. They slowly swayed around without speaking to each other. With the last few moments of the song, Roo spun Avalie and pulled her close. He had her caressed under his chin. “Ava”, he whispered. “ I’m sorry about before. But I meant everything I said. You’re incredible. And you don’t need James to prove that you are. It kills me to see that you don’t see how much you’re worth. Earlier I said that people see me paying attention to what seems like every girl in this world. Ava...I promise, I won’t leave you like he did. I want you to be the only girl in my world. You’re like my best friend. I love you.” He kissed the top of her head. Avalie closed her eyes trying to hold back from crying.

She was still staring at the ceiling, but now tears were streaming down her face. She didn’t know why it was so hard to let go. She sat up on her bed and wiped her face. She took a deep breath. She still had hope James was coming back. But she had let that take control of her life. She missed out with Ryder because she was too caught up with thinking about James. And now there was Roo. She had spent so much time with him the last few months. Once again, she had flashed back to the time at High Park. She smiled as she thought back to how she felt that day; that there was someone who actually took her mind off of James. She didn’t want to lose her opportunity like she did with Ryder. Roo meant so much more to her.

Avalie stood on the line between giving up on James and holding on just a bit longer. She had to make a decision. She grabbed her phone and texted Roo. “I need to see you.” It was about time she decided which side she wanted to be on.
---
6 lives . 3 promises . 1 risk & 1 story . It's going to be AMAZING .
James Calvin . Derek Night . Tyson Skye .
Avalie Lavista . Axel Chase . Mallorie Adams .
---
Photocred: Holly Deeks
Location: Church parking lot
Hair: Messy bun and hairspray
Sunglasses: $20 American Eagle
Earrings: $7 Multi-Accessories
Necklace: $3 Ardenes
Cardigan: $5 Stiches
Skirt: $17 Smart Set
Sandals: $18 Gerard Square

(C) Ariana Rae Limas

Post a Comment

my lovely chaos © . QUINN CREATIVES DESIGN .