instagram

Excerpt #8 - March 21, 2011

Tuesday, March 22, 2011


Give me something that’ll haunt me when you’re not around
Cuz I see sparks fly whenever you smile <3 – t.Swift

------------------------
“Ava, come with me.”
“Roo, I can’t.”

Avalalie slumped further into her chair as she doodled onto the piece of paper. It just wasn’t the same when Roo wasn’t there. She was bored with no one to talk to, no one to make her laugh, and at any other time like this she’d be counting on him to cheer her up—except this time he was the reason for it all. She blew a piece of her fringe out of her face. Roo had gone to Europe for a college trip as one of his requirements for his program. He had asked Ava to come with him so they could go sight-seeing together, but she refused. Why she did, she didn’t know. She was so sick and tired of being like this; Roo constantly trying to keep their relationship close, but Ava just pushing away. She was scared—after all, everyone who did say they’d stay had left. She had every reason not to believe Roo; he was just another guy chasing after just another girl. But then again, she had every reason to believe him too. What kind of friend would she be if she didn’t trust every sincere word he had ever said to her? She was stuck in a situation trying to decide between the little devil and angel on her shoulder; the devil telling her it was wrong to let herself go with someone when she’s been hurt so many times already, but the angel telling her it was okay to move on. Ava’s doodles went from loopy circles to frustrated scribbles.  Why was it so hard to let go?

There was a knock on Ava’s door. Mallorie popped her head in, “Um, Ava, there’s um...”. Mallorie was stammering.

“What’s wrong?”

“There’s someone outside to see you...”

“Who?”

Mallorie stepped to the side and a tall, familiar figure stood there. “Hey.”

Avalie spun her chair around. “James?! What are you doing here?!” 

She didn’t exactly know what kind of tone her voice sounded like. She didn’t even know what she was feeling. Was she mad? Was she excited? She had no clue.

Mallorie allowed him to step forward, “I’ll leave you two alone for a sec.” 

As Mallorie left, James turned his focus back to Avalie.

“I said, what are you doing here?”, Avalie’s voice trembled.

“Ava, just let me explain. I know I said I’d be back, but—“

“But what? You told me to wait for you. So I waited. Did you come back in the time that you said you would? No you didn’t. But I waited anyway.” 

She took a deep breath. It felt so good to finally get that off her chest.

“I know. But things were complicated and I, well, I didn’t know what to do.”

“And you couldn’t at least reply back to my calls or messages?”

“Can you chill? Geez, this is exactly why I was so nervous! You girls get so dramatic!”

Avalie glared at him. James couldn’t believe what he was hearing. He came back didn’t he?

“Yea, well that’s only because guys like you don’t have the guts to come say your feelings upfront. Why don’t you try being a man and tell me straight up what’s been going on.”

“I’m sorry. I’m sorry I didn’t come back like I promised. I’m sorry that you had to wait. I’m not going to lie, I forgot about my promise for a while and had my fun. But then I remembered how much I cared about you. That’s why I’m back”.

Avalie’s face was so hot with anger. The tears were starting to well up in her eyes.

 “You know, I was waiting and waiting for this moment to come, for this moment for you to finally come back so my waiting would be over. But it’s not at all what I expected. I thought when you came back everything would go back to how it used to be. And because I was so focused on you, I’ve been afraid to let anybody else come close to me. I’ve shut people out of my life all for you. I’ve hurt people close to me, people I truly care about.”

Avalie’s voice started to quiver. Roo’s kind and smiling face flashed through her mind. It was like a huge slap in her face. She had been hurting Roo. She had been hurting Roo. The line echoed through her head over and over again. She loved Roo, but it was only now she realized how much she was hurting her best friend. And for what? Someone who couldn’t even call her to explain himself! How could she allow herself to let it get that far?  She was waiting for someone who she thought she cared about, someone she thought was prince charming, someone she thought she was in love with. What she didn’t realize until this very moment was that he had been with her this whole time.

“I’m sorry James. I didn’t mean to yell at you like that. But I’m sorry, I just can’t do this.”

She pushed her way past him. “Where are you going?”, James said with confusion.

“I’m sorry you came back for nothing, James, I really am. But I need to thank you. This is what I thought I wanted. But I guess this is all I needed to finally realize that I’ve already been completely over you for months. I guess this is the closure I needed.”

“For what?”, James asked stumped.

“For me to finally let go and move on.” Ava kissed James lightly on the cheek and looked at him in the eye. “I need to go tell someone how much he means to me.”

They say fate controls who walks into your life. But you decide who you let walk out, who you let stay, and who you refuse to let go. Avalie let Vince walk out on her years ago; she let James stay longer than needed; and now she was off to be with that person she refused to ever let go. She needed to get a plane ticket to Europe. She needed to see Roo.


---------
James Calvin . Derek Night . Tyson Skye .
Avalie Lavista . Axel Chase . Mallorie Adams .
6 lives . 3 promises . 1 risk & 1 story . It's going to be AMAZING .

Post a Comment

my lovely chaos © . QUINN CREATIVES DESIGN .