instagram

D&C 6

Sunday, April 17, 2011

  • It says in 6:4 that, "whosoever will thrust in his sickle and reap, the same is called of God". In continuation with chapter 4, as long as someone willingly does His work, he is called of God.
  • When we have "an eye single to the glory of God", we are seeking "to bring forth and establish the cause of Zion." This is the work the Lord needs us to fulfill; He needs us to help build up Zion.
  • In 4:4, it says that when we have the willingness to work, we bring salvation to our soul. Our salvation for being a righteous and obedient servant of the Lord is have eternal life. We might have eternal life, but we are only considered "rich" to have it because we will have our family with us to make it worth while. Eternal life isn't so great when it's just you alone. That's why it is so important to have valiant servants spread the word of God to the world. When we studied D&C 128, we were told that "salvation is an individual matter, exaltation is a family matter." Although we were studying the work for the dead, it still applies to all those who are living. We need to spread the word because we want to be able to bring to people the joy of the gospel and share with them the blessings and reward of living eternal life with our families. As we studied D&C 128, we learnt as a class that this is ONE BIG FAMILY. When it comes to bringing our families to share eternal life with us, it doesn't just apply to my small family unit; it applies to this huge family unit of all our spiritual brothers and sisters. 
  • These past few Institute lessons has made me realize how central and important the family is to the Gospel. So much of the doctrine and obedience to the commandments and council of the church leaders has so much to do with strengthening our families and reuniting our spirit family back together again. I may not know the other people of this world so it might be a little hard to grasp the idea that they are all my spirit family. But if I think of it this way: right now I enjoy big family parties where I get to be around those I care about and get to know them better. In a spiritual aspect, bringing all these souls the truth of the gospel is just going to be like a huge spiritual family reunion. I may not know everybody, but the knowledge that they are my FAMILY allows me to love and care for them and get to know them so we can be more like family. With that, eternal life is going to be super enjoyable and something to look forward to. This is what makes so much sense about the Gospel: that everything relates to one thing, and that is the family. Whether it is strengthening our family unit or helping others strengthen theirs, it all goes back to this huge spiritual family reunion. Even when I look back to today's Sunday school lessons and Sacrament meeting talks, everything is linked to becoming one eternal family. This is what makes the Gospel so amazing and just makes so much sense! There's ONE goal behind it all and that is for us to be together forever. I'm grateful for the Institute lessons that have taught me this the past few weeks. Observing from my own actions, I find myself being more interactive with my family members and getting along with my parents more easily recently than I have before. I find that I am happier when I am closer to my family. I am SO grateful for Institute and for this knowledge of the Gospel! Time to share it with the world!!!!!


Revelation
  • God knows the thoughts and intents of our hearts. If we are faithful, He provides a way to meet our needs.
  • God tells Oliver to stand by Joseph Smith. If we stand by our prophet in these latter days, we are more protected and are entitled to receive more personal revelation if we follow their council. 
  • In verse 20, the Lord councils Oliver to "be faithful and diligent in keeping the commandments of God, and I will encircle thee in the arms of my love." Sometimes we hope for things, but they don't turn out exactly how we would have hoped. If we apply this council of the Lord, His promise to "encircle [us] in the arms of [His] love", will always apply. Things might go wrong, but if we have that faith and diligence in God's commandments, we will feel the comfort of His love knowing that things happened the way they did for a reason. i guess that alone is revelation for ourselves. When you look at things with a certain perspective, the Lord reveals to us that maybe a certain thing wasn't meant for us and that He has something else in store for us. We need to be open to that and trust Heavenly Father that this is what He knows is best for us. If we don't follow the council to be faithful, our perspective isn't the same and if something doesn't happen the way we want it to, we start to question instead of being grateful for it. But if we are faithful, we will feel that peace in our hearts that everything will work out okay. That is our personal witness that we have a Saviour who loves us. 
  • I liked what was said in verse 33 that we should not fear to do good. A lot of the time, especially living as a teen in the world today, doing something good gets harder and harder when done alone because other may look down on it. But the Lord promises that as long as we do good, then what we reap will be good too. He says that as long as are built upon His rock, then the evils cannot prevail against us. When I think of revelation I always think of people receiving a big witness, like Elder Bednar's talk and his analogy of revelation like a light suddenly being turned on. And even in comparison to the sunrise where the revelation comes gradually, I forget that something as simple as being comforted by God is enough revelation for me to know that He is there and He loves me. 

- Ariana Rae Limas ♥
live well . laugh hard . love big .
17.04.11

Post a Comment

my lovely chaos © . QUINN CREATIVES DESIGN .