instagram

Work and the Glory OBSESSED.

Monday, May 30, 2011

So I am absolutely-positutely OBSESSED with The Work and the Glory series by Gerald N. Lund!!!

I read the 1st book a couple of years ago and the second one over a year ago. Because of school I haven't had much time to read much of my reading wishlist. But now I'm using every single break at work to read and read and read because these books are just SOOOOOOOOOO GOOD.

I now have a spot in my heart for the dear Steed family. I can't even explain what a great example they are of keeping the faith. They are just so amazing! Every single one of them has a special feature about them and their strength and duty in the Lord's work that I have come to love. I've grown quite attached to the characters.....I'm actually planning to name some of my kids after them. Don't judge me!


Gerald N. Lund is a genius when it comes to writing. Some people don't like reading things in detail because it get boring...but I LOVE it. I see what the Steeds see and I feel what they feel. The mysterious ways of the Lord preforms become written proof as I read about the miracles that happen in the lives of these faithful Saints. I've come to gain a greater testimony of our prophet Joseph Smith and my love for him has grown as I have come to learn of this great man.

My admiration for the pioneers has grown larger than it ever has been. I've always known about the pioneers but I have never realized how much faith and strength they had until after reading these books. My love for the members of the past has grown to such a great extent. I've heard stories about hardships and persecutions, but it never hit home so hard before. Because of my attachment to the Steed family, I now have a greater understanding of how hard things were back then. But it also made me realize how strong these individuals' faith were in the prophet and how much love and trust they had in the Lord to do what he asks even in the most perilous time.

There is not a day when I read this book where my eyes are dry. I always, and I mean ALWAYS, read something that will bring tears to my eyes; whether it's the testimony of the characters, the faith they show after their extreme trials, the love they have for the Lord, the love they have for their fellow members, or the touching and loving relationship the Steed family has for each other. I can't even explain how much I love this book. I know I have a testimony of this gospel and reading these books has strengthened my testimony of the history of the church. I am also filled with so much admiration of these Saints and I find myself wanting to do better as I learn from their righteous example.


I don't think there's anything else to say but tell you how much I recommend you to read this book.

Oh, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the dialogues. My favourites are the ones that are just so heartfelt OR the ones where the Steed family stands up for what they believe in with unwavering and immovable faith. Like in Volume #3, Rebecca had to turn the man she loved down because he wasn't a member. Also, the rest of the family had to defend their faith against their son-in-law. In both circumstances the dialogues of defending the faith were just so incredible!

Of course when you got a family, that means LOVE. The love the ever-growing Steed family has for each other is such a great example to me. Chapter after chapter, I start setting silent goals in my heart of how much I want my family to be like the Steed family. And of course, the family get bigger as the children marry...and those dialogues are so touching! They make me so kilig!!! (That's a Filipino word for giggly/smiley/squealy when something romantically cute happens.)

The heartfelt testimonies of each individual as they explain the reason they live for the gospel are simply AMAZING. Just for the record, here's a couple of dialoges I LOVED as I read volume #4: The Gold to Refine.

Nathan Steed to his brother, Joshua Steed; page 180:

There was only one answer. "To show your gratitude. Love."
"Of course." Nathan straightened now, choosing his words with great care. "And that's exactly how we as Latter-day Saints feel about the Saviour." 
Joshua looked openly dubious. 
"Yes," Nathan said earnestly. "Don't you see? What Jesus did for us is all that you did for our family and infinitely more. He loved us so much, he gave his life for us on the cross. He suffered beyond description. Why? To save us from an eternal destiny too horrible to describe. And once you come to believe that--no, not just believe it, but accept it, live it, breathe it!-- then you are willing to endure anything, do anything, give everything in return as your way of saying thanks to him." 
He shook his head slowly, wanting so much to hep Joshua understand. "You yourself are living proof of the power of love. Can't you see that, Joshua? Christ gave his life for all mankind. Can we as Saints do any less if we love him in return?"


Benjamin Steed to his son, Joshua Steed, and son-in-law, Carl Rogers; page 593-4:

He took a breath, his voice growing stronger now. "But let me see if I can help you understand. In some ways, our lives are like circles, circles in which we move and live and act. Some of us live longer and so we make wider circles than others. Some people are great and noble and famous. Their circles can become very large. We believe Joseph Smith is one of those. We believe his circle will embrace all for eternity." 
Joshua had started fidgeting as his father began, looking for an opening, but he quieted, caught up in the intensity of Benjamin's words. 
"George Washington, Columbus, the Apostle Paul-- I could name hundreds of others who we know by name because their circles spread wide and touched many people. But for every one of those big circles there are a thousand unnamed and unknown people whose circles seem very small and insignificant by comparison. And yet, to God, they are not insignificant. To God, it is not how large our circle becomes, or how well known we are to the world. All that matters is how we--you, me, each and every one of us--fills that circle. 
"Are we like our Saviour and Redeemer? Are we following the example of the Master? Or do we care only about ourselves?"



As for my children names...HA-HA-HA. Ok so I've always wanted unique names just because I'm so used to the fact that my own name is uncommon. But the names of the Steed children have so much meaning to me now, so I can't help it. I would use them all if I could, but I've chosen specific ones for specific reasons. ACTUALLY........I'll save this for another post ;) Stay tuned!

But yes, I DO LOVE THIS SERIES. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT. GO READ IT NOWWWWWWWW!
So today, I finished Volume #4...tomorrow before I go to work, Volume #5: A Season of Joy, HERE I COME! Woo!

- Ariana Rae Limas ♥
live well . laugh hard . love big .
30.05.11


P.S.

I talk about this all the time with Sara and Laura. I'm constantly texting Sara from work telling her about this book and the Steed family. But one of our conversations was about our day. I was so amazed by the faith they had through the persecution...it made me think about our day. The church leaders have always said that we were born in this generation as a royal generation. We were appointed to come to earth at this time because they need the strong spirits in this fight against Satan. I was thinking that sometimes it doesn't seem so hard. I mean, yea sure, there are temptations that are harder to fight because the world makes it seem like it's no big deal, but it's not like we ever have to deal with standing by our faith is a matter between life and death. The early Saints suffered so much! (one example: the Mormon Masscre in Volume 4, it will break your heart).  Saints were persecuted, exiled, whipped, beaten, terrorized, killed, yet their faith stayed stronger than ever. It gets me thinking maybe I'm taking our day a little too lightly. If I was sent to this Earth at this appointed time and compare it to the trials the Saints had to go through back then........well....... let's just say I found it a warning. Maybe I might be taking things too lightly? I started questioning myself, would I have enough courage in this day to stand up for what I believe in when it becomes a life and death situation? I might say so, but when the time comes...am I really willing to sacrifice my life? After much musing, my answer is YES. I love this Gospel and I love my Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. There is no way in this life I will deny the faith!!! Then it got me thinking again...if I'm willing to be this brave when it comes to sacrificing my life, then I should be even more willing when it comes to sacrificing my reputation. I'm not saying that telling people I'm Mormon will ruin my reputation or anything, because it never really has. But as I grow older and find myself in more situations where I'm surrounded by people who don't know me like all those I've grown with in my 14 years of school, I find it hard to openly talk about the gospel because I don't want to be judged. If I'm willing to risk my life for the Gospel, then risking my reputation shouldn't be a problem. Just sayin'. So I'm just making it a goal to open my mouth more and talk about the Gospel with more delight and zeal as I share it with others :)

1 comment

  1. THIS IS WHY YOUR MY BEST FRIEND!!!! Ate this is so beautiful! I WANT TO READ THEM! Don't make me go out and buy the first one :P But seriously, I know what you mean, we were chosen for this day because we are the strongest spirits! This means we have the responsibility to be strong!! :) Love you ate!!

    ReplyDelete

my lovely chaos © . QUINN CREATIVES DESIGN .