instagram

It's Worth Everything

Monday, January 20, 2014

Yeyeyeyyeeee I am SO EXCITED to tell you about this week! But fiiiirst things, first. Let's start with a quote :)

"I know it gets hard. I've been there and it sucks. But you know what doesn't suck? THE GOSPEL. ITS TRUE." --Stanton Fisher, Aug 2013

^Aaaaaamen to that. The mission is such a roller coaster. And I am not the biggest fan of roller coasters (haha, minus Space Mountain :P). Seriously, why would anyone put up with having a bajillion ups and downs every single minute of every day? No wonder I get so nautious all the time. Sheeesh.

Haha, BUT I'll tell you why :)
Something as special as the Gospel of Jesus Christ is worth everything.Every little bit of pain from any trial, every sorrow, every mistake, every weakness. The Gospel of Jesus Christ, THE ATONEMENT, the infinite love...it's worth it all. And as those trials come, our understanding of those blessings just increase. Let me share two teaching experiences we had this week.

1st, Kathryn Moss.
She is our less active member we have been working with to help her stop smoking. I love that old lady. She is spunky and so much to talk to. Every week it's pretty much the same though...she tells us why she hasn't been able to quit. This week we gave her a commitment chart (one that we've been inspired to give to all the members we visit). From our discussion this past week, it sounded like the addiction had just taken a hold of her. She has the desire to stop, but she can't exactly get hold of grasping the "stopping" part. We read a article from the Addiction Recovery Program website. One of the stories was about this guy and he had talked about weaknesses (ether 12:27). I was able to bare testimony of that scripture and how true and real it became to me on the mission. Tears started running down my face (oh be proud of me, i haven't cried in a lesson in weeks! And i was able to control my voice :P). Why they did? Because I now have such a deep conviction of how the Lord helps us to overcome our weaknesses. I told her it's not easy to let go of some things, and they are always going to sneak up on you. But I promised her with my whole heart that when we rely on the Lord, He does make us strong to overcome the weaknesses. She started crying too and Sis Linton was able to atest to what I said. Sis Moss says, "i can't imagine you two beautiful girls having any addictions or weaknesses. Other than drinking Pepsi maybe." BAHAHA oh i just love her, I've never had Pepsi in my life bahahaha. But in all seriousness, no one is perfect. I'm NO WHERE near perfection. What is so awesome is that Heavenly Father knows we can be. And so Jesus Christ did what we did so we can move one step forward in becoming like our Father. Like Elder Wadsworth says, "we dont get to our state of happiness/righteousness without God's help to lift us up to be there". And it's so true. Despite all the heartache and trial and craziness, happiness can still be acheived because we know who to go to when we need to be on higher ground.

2nd, Ginger Atwood.
We watched Together Forever with Ginger this week. Afterwards she started telling us about her friend, Candy, and how 3 people that were very close and dear to her had passed away. She was taking it very hard and Ginger just felt so sad for her because she knows Candy needs God in her life. She asked us, "as missionaries, do you guys ever feel like you don't know what to say sometimes? Cuz i know Candy needs God...I just don't know how to tell her". I told her that of course sometimes we don't know what to say and it's something that both me and my companion had had to work very hard on, and still do. BUT, what gives us the biggest motivation to keep trying is knowing that people, like her friend Candy, need to know there's something so much bigger and better waiting for her. I just started getting sooooo emotional as I continued to bear my testimony, I cant even deal! Like if i were to describe that moment, it'd probably be like in The Best Two Years when Elder Rogers bore his testimony about Joesph Smith and said "that's why I'm here" and it hit him so hard. THATS EXACTLY HOW I FELT. That's why I'm here. Cuz there are just so so soooo many blessings Heavenly Father has in store for His children. They need that guide to help them know where to turn to when there is no more hope. Like it says in the Mormon Messages video Look Not Behind Thee, "sometimes people are afraid to move because they don't have something to have hope in. And for me, that's the Saviour." He's the hope we have to know that everything will be A-OK because He's done it all. He's provided the way for us to gain that eternal happiness. No worldly pain, no aching sorrow, no longing for something more, can be made right or satisfied without our Saviour's saving grace. Can you imagine if everyone knew that? If they knew that simply having faith in Jesus Christ can heal any yearning of the heart.

ANYWHOOZERS, we've been working out butts off this week. So what does that call for? SICKNESS, yet again. I guess not getting any sleep catches up to you (no duh.) I've just been pushing making "faith the fuel" my energy to keep going. But on Saturday I had the biggest migrane of life. I have never hurt so bad before. It got to the point where I was close to tears and practically said "I want my mom". It was that bad. Elder Smith and Elder Oskins were already planning to meet up with us to come with us to a lesson to give Andrea a blessing. So I asked them for one too. How grateful I am for the Priesthood! Andrea wasn't home, but Eleanore was, and she was sick as well. They let me go first so Eleanore could see what it would be like. Since Elder Oskins was going to do Eleanore's, Elder Smith said he'd do mine. Right before I sit down he says,

"Just remember. If it doesn't get better, the church is still true".
"Oh right, cuz I'm going apostate if it gets worse".
[Our mission speaks waaaay too much sarcasm...]

So he says the blessing........and let me just tell you, I know the trials aren't going to end. If anything, from the blessing it sounded like there were much harder things to come. This just calls for a time to say "I believe in Christ so come what may. Life--bring it!" (Baha, i seriously set myself up for all the trial by challenging it to come bahaha.)

But just like Stan says, and just like Elder Smith says: No matter what, THE GOSPEL IS TRUE :) That's what makes it all worth it.

So0o0o0o0o on to successes!:

* A few months ago, all the stake presidents in our mission had a meeting with Pres Morgan and some of the 12 Apostles. They discusses the "20 lessons program", which was to get us missionaries to ask the "harvesting questions" at lessons with lessactives, members, recent converts, invcestigators, etc...to work our way to getting 20 lessons a week. WELL GUESS WHAAAAAAAAT. SISTER LINTON AND I HIT 21 LESSONS THIS WEEK!!!! WOOOOO!!!!! 9 of them being lessons taught with a member present, which is huge!!!! GAH! I AM SO SO SO HAAAAAPPY!

* We got 3 new investigators this week which brings our teaching pool to 19. Is it overwhelming. Oh heck yes it is. But we're teaching!!! That's all I care about! Like, the appointments just keep coming and our week has pretty much been filled before this week even came. AND 3 OF THEM HAVE A BAPTISM DATE!!! And 2 more have potential dates. GAAAAAAAAAAH SO STOKED!!!! I really hope i dont get transferred!!!

* Shirley came to church on Sunday! We had to leave early cuz Sis Linton got super sick (im telling you, we pretty much just take turns getting sick). BUT! Sis Clements drove Shirley by our apartment after church and Shirley said she really liked church and wanted all our manuals so she could study....AND she bore her testimony during Relief Society. Oh i am so proud of her :') that's my gaaator!

* I just love my companion. We have pretty much gotten back to joking around with each other like we used to. And I think it's because we're on the same page now. We've been watching Together Forever quite a bit with investigators. There's this one couple in the video that talks about how nothing was going for them in their marriage anymore, and it was because they didn't really have any goals anymore. I'm so proud of my companion. She's been studying really hard and after we were asked to pray about our goal of 521 baptisms, she did and told me that she knew that was the goal we were supposed to work towards. SO STINKIN' PROUD OF HER. And so with any relationship, goals fix things. Bahaha. It's true I tell ya.

* We visited with the Garbers (less actives) this week and gave them their commitment chart. When we first got to Glen Carbon and met the Garbers, Bro Garber was too busy watching TV to really invite us in further than the door mat. And he kept talking about the previous sisters. And he wouldn't look at us. SO AWKS. BUUUUUT, we've been seeing them every week for the past 3 weeks, and setting goals with them. Bro Garber is still the one that seems less interested (Sis Garber is always giving him grief about it), but when we asked them if they kept their commitments, Bro Garber was like "yeah i read the Book of Mormon". His wife didn't believe him at first. But he went to his book, which was ON the table and not IN the drawer!, and he flipped open to what he read and told us what he learned. OHHHH MAN, I WAS SO HAPPY!!!!!! And I made goals with him to study what he read so I can answer his questions the next time we came over. And he said that he'll read x amount of pages before we came next. Before we left we asked him to say a prayer. AND HE DID :D :D and he thanked the Lord for us because we brought joy to him and his wife. D'aaaaw. I can't even deal with how sweet that was.

* OH, but while at the Garbers we checked our blood sugar (dont ask). Bro Garber pricks my finger and barely any blood came out. He's like "dang girl, you've got no blood". I'm like "yeah i know....that's probably one of the reasons why I'm anemic". Dumb blood probs. Because I have iron deficiencies, it makes my body more tired than it's supposed to, and that's what triggers the stupid migranes. GAAAAH. So dumb. Anyway, the next day we drive out to district meeting (for some reason Elder Smith decides we should have it in their building in East St Louis...) and Sis Linton and I saw THE MOST DISTURBING THING EVER. I was so sick to my stomach. We ended up having to call the police to report it. On the way home after our meeting we were just in complete silence because we were so traumatized by what we saw.....but then I busted out laughing. Sis Linton asks me what's up and I say "Well after reflecting upon how sketchy and eerie East St Louis is, the good news is if we get attacked, we know I can't bleed to death *insert Ate's mischevious smirk*". Bahahaha my companion was like k my companion has gone nuts. BUT HEY, you gotta take two negatives and turn it into some kind of positive, right?? Hahaha. Also, I am officially scared of East St Louis. I am carrying my pepper spray from now on.

* During district meeting we played Jearpordy :D oh mannnn i had to bring the competative level down to a minimum! But we stunk so hard! Haha Elder Smith made the questions so hard! But we bet all our points for the last question, AND WE GOT IT RIGHT! Bahaha we won!!! Our prize: the Elder have to wash and clean our cars :) Hahaha alll right!

* Yesterday Sis Clements took us to the zoo for pday. I just looooove going into the city!!! It reminds me so much of Toronto! And I love how the St Louis Zoo is free :) and i got WAAAAAAAY too excited. I havent been to the zoo since the 1st grade. I was all over the place. I just started "shmaaaaa"ing when I saw the elephants. And when I saw the giraffe, I was pretty much close to tears cuz i couldn't get over how beautiful they were (Sara knows bahahahaha. remember that time i came to your lecture and we watched that documentary on giraffes? hahahaha) And when I saw the lemur jump around like Zaboomafoo, I may or may not have jumped with it cuz it just got me that excited. LOLOLOL. That's Sister Limas for ya. Sister Linton also paid for me to get a Build-a-Bear!! I got an elephant and I named it PUNKY :)

Anywhoozers, that was my week!
Last but not least, I want to share something Sis Linton shared with me this morning. So she's reading out of the general conference ensign and starts reading off one of my favourite scriptures...

Sis Linton: "And Jacob served seven years..."
Me: Ohhhhhh I Looooove this scripture!
Sis Linton: Shush. I know. But just listen! I changed it.
...She applied the scripture to herself!

And so now I love Genesis 29:20 even more now becauseeee in my journal it now says:
"And Ariana Limas served 18 months for God; and they seemed unto her but a few days, for the love she had to Him"

Why do I put up with all of this? Because I love my Heavenly Father too much to not to.

Oh and I atest to the "few days" part. I JUST hit my 8 month mark, and now all of a sudden I'm about to hit my half way mark. I can't even comprehend how fast this is all going. It is ridiculous. But that reminder is good motivation cuz it reminds me to keep working cuz time is so short. Like, 2 transferrs (aka 3 months) is the typical amount of time President keeps us in an area. But I still feel like I just got to Glen Carbon. OH MAN, let alone sometimes I still feel like I just got on the mission. It just whizzes by. But I think I'm mostly just looking forward to my half way mark just so I can put a piece of clothing on FIYAAAA :) tehehehe

HOPE YOU ALL HAVE A FANTABULOUS WEEK!
Keep on keeping on. Work on those goals. Be good. Be obedient. Be cheerful. Be happy.
And just LOVE LOVE LOVE :)
Mucho Lovinnnn from
Sister Limas!

Photo 1: Pre-Zoo photo
Photo 2: Oh, I just loooooove elephants so so much :3
Photo 3: Me and PUNKY :)Yeyeyeyyeeee I am SO EXCITED to tell you about this week! But fiiiirst things, first. Let's start with a quote :)

"I know it gets hard. I've been there and it sucks. But you know what doesn't suck? THE GOSPEL. ITS TRUE." --Stanton Fisher, Aug 2013

^Aaaaaamen to that. The mission is such a roller coaster. And I am not the biggest fan of roller coasters (haha, minus Space Mountain :P). Seriously, why would anyone put up with having a bajillion ups and downs every single minute of every day? No wonder I get so nautious all the time. Sheeesh.

Haha, BUT I'll tell you why :)
Something as special as the Gospel of Jesus Christ is worth everything.Every little bit of pain from any trial, every sorrow, every mistake, every weakness. The Gospel of Jesus Christ, THE ATONEMENT, the infinite love...it's worth it all. And as those trials come, our understanding of those blessings just increase. Let me share two teaching experiences we had this week.

1st, Kathryn Moss.
She is our less active member we have been working with to help her stop smoking. I love that old lady. She is spunky and so much to talk to. Every week it's pretty much the same though...she tells us why she hasn't been able to quit. This week we gave her a commitment chart (one that we've been inspired to give to all the members we visit). From our discussion this past week, it sounded like the addiction had just taken a hold of her. She has the desire to stop, but she can't exactly get hold of grasping the "stopping" part. We read a article from the Addiction Recovery Program website. One of the stories was about this guy and he had talked about weaknesses (ether 12:27). I was able to bare testimony of that scripture and how true and real it became to me on the mission. Tears started running down my face (oh be proud of me, i haven't cried in a lesson in weeks! And i was able to control my voice :P). Why they did? Because I now have such a deep conviction of how the Lord helps us to overcome our weaknesses. I told her it's not easy to let go of some things, and they are always going to sneak up on you. But I promised her with my whole heart that when we rely on the Lord, He does make us strong to overcome the weaknesses. She started crying too and Sis Linton was able to atest to what I said. Sis Moss says, "i can't imagine you two beautiful girls having any addictions or weaknesses. Other than drinking Pepsi maybe." BAHAHA oh i just love her, I've never had Pepsi in my life bahahaha. But in all seriousness, no one is perfect. I'm NO WHERE near perfection. What is so awesome is that Heavenly Father knows we can be. And so Jesus Christ did what we did so we can move one step forward in becoming like our Father. Like Elder Wadsworth says, "we dont get to our state of happiness/righteousness without God's help to lift us up to be there". And it's so true. Despite all the heartache and trial and craziness, happiness can still be acheived because we know who to go to when we need to be on higher ground.

2nd, Ginger Atwood.
We watched Together Forever with Ginger this week. Afterwards she started telling us about her friend, Candy, and how 3 people that were very close and dear to her had passed away. She was taking it very hard and Ginger just felt so sad for her because she knows Candy needs God in her life. She asked us, "as missionaries, do you guys ever feel like you don't know what to say sometimes? Cuz i know Candy needs God...I just don't know how to tell her". I told her that of course sometimes we don't know what to say and it's something that both me and my companion had had to work very hard on, and still do. BUT, what gives us the biggest motivation to keep trying is knowing that people, like her friend Candy, need to know there's something so much bigger and better waiting for her. I just started getting sooooo emotional as I continued to bear my testimony, I cant even deal! Like if i were to describe that moment, it'd probably be like in The Best Two Years when Elder Rogers bore his testimony about Joesph Smith and said "that's why I'm here" and it hit him so hard. THATS EXACTLY HOW I FELT. That's why I'm here. Cuz there are just so so soooo many blessings Heavenly Father has in store for His children. They need that guide to help them know where to turn to when there is no more hope. Like it says in the Mormon Messages video Look Not Behind Thee, "sometimes people are afraid to move because they don't have something to have hope in. And for me, that's the Saviour." He's the hope we have to know that everything will be A-OK because He's done it all. He's provided the way for us to gain that eternal happiness. No worldly pain, no aching sorrow, no longing for something more, can be made right or satisfied without our Saviour's saving grace. Can you imagine if everyone knew that? If they knew that simply having faith in Jesus Christ can heal any yearning of the heart.

ANYWHOOZERS, we've been working out butts off this week. So what does that call for? SICKNESS, yet again. I guess not getting any sleep catches up to you (no duh.) I've just been pushing making "faith the fuel" my energy to keep going. But on Saturday I had the biggest migrane of life. I have never hurt so bad before. It got to the point where I was close to tears and practically said "I want my mom". It was that bad. Elder Smith and Elder Oskins were already planning to meet up with us to come with us to a lesson to give Andrea a blessing. So I asked them for one too. How grateful I am for the Priesthood! Andrea wasn't home, but Eleanore was, and she was sick as well. They let me go first so Eleanore could see what it would be like. Since Elder Oskins was going to do Eleanore's, Elder Smith said he'd do mine. Right before I sit down he says,

"Just remember. If it doesn't get better, the church is still true".
"Oh right, cuz I'm going apostate if it gets worse".
[Our mission speaks waaaay too much sarcasm...]

So he says the blessing........and let me just tell you, I know the trials aren't going to end. If anything, from the blessing it sounded like there were much harder things to come. This just calls for a time to say "I believe in Christ so come what may. Life--bring it!" (Baha, i seriously set myself up for all the trial by challenging it to come bahaha.)

But just like Stan says, and just like Elder Smith says: No matter what, THE GOSPEL IS TRUE :) That's what makes it all worth it.

So0o0o0o0o on to successes!:

* A few months ago, all the stake presidents in our mission had a meeting with Pres Morgan and some of the 12 Apostles. They discusses the "20 lessons program", which was to get us missionaries to ask the "harvesting questions" at lessons with lessactives, members, recent converts, invcestigators, etc...to work our way to getting 20 lessons a week. WELL GUESS WHAAAAAAAAT. SISTER LINTON AND I HIT 21 LESSONS THIS WEEK!!!! WOOOOO!!!!! 9 of them being lessons taught with a member present, which is huge!!!! GAH! I AM SO SO SO HAAAAAPPY!

* We got 3 new investigators this week which brings our teaching pool to 19. Is it overwhelming. Oh heck yes it is. But we're teaching!!! That's all I care about! Like, the appointments just keep coming and our week has pretty much been filled before this week even came. AND 3 OF THEM HAVE A BAPTISM DATE!!! And 2 more have potential dates. GAAAAAAAAAAH SO STOKED!!!! I really hope i dont get transferred!!!

* Shirley came to church on Sunday! We had to leave early cuz Sis Linton got super sick (im telling you, we pretty much just take turns getting sick). BUT! Sis Clements drove Shirley by our apartment after church and Shirley said she really liked church and wanted all our manuals so she could study....AND she bore her testimony during Relief Society. Oh i am so proud of her :') that's my gaaator!

* I just love my companion. We have pretty much gotten back to joking around with each other like we used to. And I think it's because we're on the same page now. We've been watching Together Forever quite a bit with investigators. There's this one couple in the video that talks about how nothing was going for them in their marriage anymore, and it was because they didn't really have any goals anymore. I'm so proud of my companion. She's been studying really hard and after we were asked to pray about our goal of 521 baptisms, she did and told me that she knew that was the goal we were supposed to work towards. SO STINKIN' PROUD OF HER. And so with any relationship, goals fix things. Bahaha. It's true I tell ya.

* We visited with the Garbers (less actives) this week and gave them their commitment chart. When we first got to Glen Carbon and met the Garbers, Bro Garber was too busy watching TV to really invite us in further than the door mat. And he kept talking about the previous sisters. And he wouldn't look at us. SO AWKS. BUUUUUT, we've been seeing them every week for the past 3 weeks, and setting goals with them. Bro Garber is still the one that seems less interested (Sis Garber is always giving him grief about it), but when we asked them if they kept their commitments, Bro Garber was like "yeah i read the Book of Mormon". His wife didn't believe him at first. But he went to his book, which was ON the table and not IN the drawer!, and he flipped open to what he read and told us what he learned. OHHHH MAN, I WAS SO HAPPY!!!!!! And I made goals with him to study what he read so I can answer his questions the next time we came over. And he said that he'll read x amount of pages before we came next. Before we left we asked him to say a prayer. AND HE DID :D :D and he thanked the Lord for us because we brought joy to him and his wife. D'aaaaw. I can't even deal with how sweet that was.

* OH, but while at the Garbers we checked our blood sugar (dont ask). Bro Garber pricks my finger and barely any blood came out. He's like "dang girl, you've got no blood". I'm like "yeah i know....that's probably one of the reasons why I'm anemic". Dumb blood probs. Because I have iron deficiencies, it makes my body more tired than it's supposed to, and that's what triggers the stupid migranes. GAAAAH. So dumb. Anyway, the next day we drive out to district meeting (for some reason Elder Smith decides we should have it in their building in East St Louis...) and Sis Linton and I saw THE MOST DISTURBING THING EVER. I was so sick to my stomach. We ended up having to call the police to report it. On the way home after our meeting we were just in complete silence because we were so traumatized by what we saw.....but then I busted out laughing. Sis Linton asks me what's up and I say "Well after reflecting upon how sketchy and eerie East St Louis is, the good news is if we get attacked, we know I can't bleed to death *insert Ate's mischevious smirk*". Bahahaha my companion was like k my companion has gone nuts. BUT HEY, you gotta take two negatives and turn it into some kind of positive, right?? Hahaha. Also, I am officially scared of East St Louis. I am carrying my pepper spray from now on.

* During district meeting we played Jearpordy :D oh mannnn i had to bring the competative level down to a minimum! But we stunk so hard! Haha Elder Smith made the questions so hard! But we bet all our points for the last question, AND WE GOT IT RIGHT! Bahaha we won!!! Our prize: the Elder have to wash and clean our cars :) Hahaha alll right!

* Yesterday Sis Clements took us to the zoo for pday. I just looooove going into the city!!! It reminds me so much of Toronto! And I love how the St Louis Zoo is free :) and i got WAAAAAAAY too excited. I havent been to the zoo since the 1st grade. I was all over the place. I just started "shmaaaaa"ing when I saw the elephants. And when I saw the giraffe, I was pretty much close to tears cuz i couldn't get over how beautiful they were (Sara knows bahahahaha. remember that time i came to your lecture and we watched that documentary on giraffes? hahahaha) And when I saw the lemur jump around like Zaboomafoo, I may or may not have jumped with it cuz it just got me that excited. LOLOLOL. That's Sister Limas for ya. Sister Linton also paid for me to get a Build-a-Bear!! I got an elephant and I named it PUNKY :)

Anywhoozers, that was my week!
Last but not least, I want to share something Sis Linton shared with me this morning. So she's reading out of the general conference ensign and starts reading off one of my favourite scriptures...

Sis Linton: "And Jacob served seven years..."
Me: Ohhhhhh I Looooove this scripture!
Sis Linton: Shush. I know. But just listen! I changed it.
...She applied the scripture to herself!

And so now I love Genesis 29:20 even more now becauseeee in my journal it now says:
"And Ariana Limas served 18 months for God; and they seemed unto her but a few days, for the love she had to Him"

Why do I put up with all of this? Because I love my Heavenly Father too much to not to.

Oh and I atest to the "few days" part. I JUST hit my 8 month mark, and now all of a sudden I'm about to hit my half way mark. I can't even comprehend how fast this is all going. It is ridiculous. But that reminder is good motivation cuz it reminds me to keep working cuz time is so short. Like, 2 transferrs (aka 3 months) is the typical amount of time President keeps us in an area. But I still feel like I just got to Glen Carbon. OH MAN, let alone sometimes I still feel like I just got on the mission. It just whizzes by. But I think I'm mostly just looking forward to my half way mark just so I can put a piece of clothing on FIYAAAA :) tehehehe

HOPE YOU ALL HAVE A FANTABULOUS WEEK!
Keep on keeping on. Work on those goals. Be good. Be obedient. Be cheerful. Be happy.
And just LOVE LOVE LOVE :)
Mucho Lovinnnn from
Sister Limas!



Oh, I just loooooove elephants so so much :3


Me and PUNKY :)



Post a Comment

my lovely chaos © . QUINN CREATIVES DESIGN .