instagram

Be brave enough to surrender.

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Hey all!
I'm going to give you a little snippit of what mission life has been this week:

1. Setting: Trying to BRT (build a relationship of trust) with a new investigator.
Mike: What is this? Christian Mingle?
Me: What? How are we supposed to get to know you if we don't ask you questions?
Mike: Ok, well I like working out....
Me: *facepalm - thank goodness you're kinda blind and can't see my face expression right now*
Mike: *continues talking about himself*. So what does your Christian Mingle profile say?
Me: Missioanry. Unavailable. Not happening.
#stopflirting #nothankyou #wheredidthespiritgo

 2. Trying to contact an investigator and the neighborhood boys start going, "heyyy ladies".
Initial response: "Ouuu people want to talk to us! Yay!"
Realization: They are boys. They are flirting. Walk away.
#sistermissionaryproblems #beingagirlishard

3. Trying to contact a potential investigator and no one will open the door, but you can hear their conversation behind the door:
Man: Tell them to go home!
Boy: Its church people!
Girl: Just look out the window and make a funny face at them.
Kid: *looks out window* There's a girl and a boy!
Man: Just tell them to go home!
Kid: I have an idea! Lets get the waterguns!
#idareyou #getatme #rejectionatitsfinest

4. Having a frist real lesson with an investigator at the park and then he says, "So what do I need to do to get baptized?"
#golden #flockingtothefont

5. Setting: Waiting for our food at McDonalds; one of the younger workers start talking to us:
Shannon: You girls look cute!
Us: Thanks!
Shannon: I've seen you around before. Do you go knocking on doors?
Us: Yes!
Shannon: I think I saw you knocking near my house as I was leaving for work. You should stop by some time!
#noeffortwasted #blessingsfallingintolap

6. Setting: Happy Hour break at Arby's.
Manager tells us about his family history work and asks us a bunch of questions and then says, "well, I'm here during Happy Hour, Mondays through Fridays. Come by and we'll talk more."
#spiritofelijah #fastfoodsuccessapparently

7. Setting: Leaving the library at the church after photocopying records.
Me: Gimme the car keys.
Sister Tonnies: I have no problem with that. I hate driving.
#perfectreverse #perfectparking #givememylicensealready


8. Setting: Combined Zone Conference
Elder Erickson: Elder Bae, did you know Sister Limas and Sister Vilignia are sisters?
Elder Bae: No they aren't.
Me: Yeah we are. Don't you remember my blessing? My middle name is Tongan.
Elder Bae: So...?
Me: So we're related.
Elder Bae: That doesn't mean anything.
Sister Vilignia: Wow, you sound a lot like me.
Me: No wonder Sister Ash called us airheads.
​#ilovemymissionfriends
9. Setting: Catching up with trainee #1, Sister Fernandez.
Sis Fernandez: For my dying wish, I've decided I'm going to ask President Morgan if I can train in Paris my last two transfers.
Me: What? I have two transfers left and I haven't even thought about a death wish yet!
#igohomebeforeyou #allgrownup

​10. Setting: Morning run.
Me: So being a missionary makes me feel like a warrior. Like, I'm tired and exhausted, but there's still more fighting to do.
Sister Tonnies: Well, we are the army of Healaman right now.
Me: Right. But at the same time...I feel like a princess. The longer I'm out as a missionary and realize Heavenly Father's plan for me, and then realize it for others, I can't help but feel so happy. Doesn't matter how tired I am. My heart is just so happy and can't stop smiling.
Sister Tonnies: True words.
Me: So basically, Xena: Warrior Princess?
Sister Tonnies: YESSSSSSS.​
#companionshipunity #specialspirits #ilovemycalling

​11. Setting: Setting up an appointment with a potential investigator:
Me: Hey! How are you?
Him: Stressed.
Me: Err...why?
Him: Because I lost my wallet.
Me: Have you prayed to find it?
Him: Uhmmm....no.
Me: Ok, let's pray then.
Him: Err...ok?

At next appointment:
Me: So did you find your wallet?
Him: Ha, yeah. It's funny. I usually put my wallet in the same place. Me and my brother both checked there twice and couldn't find it. But after we prayed I checked there again, and it was there. It's so weird. It's like there's a ghost in the house.
Me: Orrrrrr Heavenly Father is trying to tell you that prayer works.
#inyourface #miracles #whew

12. Setting: One of my investigators from Paris (who is now a recent convert), AJ Scheiner, came out to Charleston to take my companion and I out to dinner. Then he says the following sentences:
"Sister Limas, it was so hard. We were fighting all the time. And so I prayed and told Heavenly Father, 'its in your hands now'." &
"We thank Thee for Jesus Christ and His Atonement and we ask that you help us help others see how wonderful it is" &
"I don't know what happened. Out of nowhere I always get super emotional when I talk about the gospel. You know you're Mormon when..."
#theatonementisreal #thegospelchangespeople

I had to hashtag it:) Our zone is doing this thing called "Epistles" where we send a text about something that happened in our day, and then the zone leaders pick top 5 for the week. Its basically Twitter - Missionary Style. I hate Twitter. So I guess I'm practicing haha. 

But yeah! This week has been the bomb! We had one day where both me and my companion were both so emotionally drained. It was awful. Gah. But like I said above, no matter how tired I get in this battle, I can't help but smile. I don't even know how to explain it. I'm surprised my face doesn't hurt from smiling so much hahaha.

So this week's Christ-like Attribute we studies was Humility. Here you go:

Humility is...

  • Listening.
  • A choice.
  • Choosing to let go and let God.
  • Recognizing you don't know everything.
  • Trusting that God has a plan, even if you don't know what it is.
  • Being happy in any circumstance.
  • Giving way so the Lord can work His magic.
  • When you seek for answers from prayers instead of verification from prayers.
  • Having a "Thy will be done" attitude.
  • Having enough confidence to let go of what you think should happen.
  • Not needing anyone's approval, except for God's.
  • Having a repentant heart and a hopeful spirit.
  • Seeing the glory in all of God's creations.
  • Choosing to see the beauty even when the storm is raging.
  • Seeking to understand, but not needing to.
  • Giving our whole heart to the Lord.
  • Knowing broken things can become blessed things if we let God do the fixing.
  • Being able to honestly say, "Come what may".
  • Doing what the Lord asks even when you don't know why
  • Being able to admit you might be wrong, but never letting go of what you know is right.
  • Trying to love like Christ does even if it means getting hurt.
  • Standing up for what's right even if its not the popular choice.
  • Being willing to look past the temporal and love the eternal.
  • Choosing to bear your testimony no matter what the circumstance.
  • Recognizing that you are a current bush even when you want to be a tree.
  • Allowing the Spirit to lead you through the unknown.
  • When who you are and what you have is enough.
  • Choosing to love the sacrifices.
  • Believing that all things are for your good.
  • Depending on the Lord as your ultimate source of strength.
  • When you see God's hand in everything.
  • Putting others before yourself.
  • Accepting that everyone is different and being ok with it.
  • Waiting cheerfully upon the Lord.
  • Giving your whole heart even when you know its going to get hurt.
  • Letting every experience be a learning experience.
  • Trusting that when you step into the dark of the unknown, the Lord is going to take you by the hand and leads you through it.
  • Remembering we are all on the same boat.
  • Allowing others to help you carry your cross.
  • Seeing how weak you are but not being discouraged by it.
  • Not knowing what the lesson plan is, but trusting the Spirit will speak when you open your mouth.
  • Knowing that even when you think you're winging it, God is directing it.
  • Being able to laugh at yourself.
  • Being able to take correction and allowing the Lord to chastize you.

And my three favourites:

  • The best way to express love.
  • Being brave enough to surrender.
  • Recognizing when its time to hand it over to the Lord.

Here's why those 3 are my favourites.

When it comes to love, you seriously have to forget about yourself. Love isn't about you. It's about the other person. And that's something every missionary has to learn. Otherwise, miracles wouldn't happen.

I guess the last two go hand in hand.
This week we had zone conference and one of the Elders' put up his hand and said, "so what do you do when you can't carry your cross anymore? What if it's too hard". This sweet, shy sister put up her hand and said, "you hand it over to the Lord and say, 'here, take it. I can't do it anymore'. Then you trust that He will. And He will because it's happened to me". I wrote that i my journal that night because that was just a huge reminder to me. There have been countless times where I have told Heavenly Father, "take it. I don't want to carry this anymore. It's in your hands."

Have any of you seen the missionary teabag trick?
I empty a teabag and say, "pretend this is all your worries, sorrows, trials, etc. We're dumping it out and giving it to the Lord". Then I put the teabag on the person's hand and ask them to hold completely still. Then I ask if they trust me. Then I light it on fire. The fire slowly starts burning away the teabag. The fire gets closer and closer to the person's hand. Some people start to flinch because its getting super hot. But right when the fire is about to burn the person's hand, the teabag lifts into the air. Most people's reactions are like, "whew that was close".

When it comes to trusting in the Lord, yeah, sometimes we don't know what we're getting ourselves into. Sometimes we just gotta say, "ok Heavenly Father, I'm trusting you". And sometimes when we finally muster enough courage to make the surrender, things STILL don't seem like they are going to work out. Sometimes we think, "gah what did I do?!" BUT Heavenly Father always, always, ALWAYS lifts us up right before we get burned.

The unknown is scary. But what have you got to lose if you're handing it over to the Lord? Just remember, "when you're down to nothing, God's up to something."

I'm going to end this with my favourite scripture. I share this with almost everyone I meet while contacting:

" And it came to pass that the voice of the Lord came to them in their afflictions, saying: Lift up your heads and be of good comfort, for I know of the covenant which ye have made unto me; and I will covenant with my people and deliver them out of bondage. And I will ease the burdens which are put upon your shoulders, that even you cannot feel them upon your backs, even while you are in bondage; and this will I do that ye may stand as witnesses for me hereafter, and that ye may know of a surety that I, the Lord God, do visit my people in their afflictions." --Mosiah 24:13-14

​I share that scripture with people on the street time after time because I am a witness ​of that.  He doesn't take away the circumstances we are in. But He helps you lift the load. The Lord lifts the burdens. If He didn't, our hearts wouldn't have reason to rejoice. I leave that with you in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

Anywhooooozers! I'm stoked for this week. I don't really know how I feel about exchanges this week. I'm staying in my area. #stillanoob #seniorcompanionproblems
​Have a tremendously awesome week!
See ya in 3!
MUCHO MUCHO LOVIIIIIN'
Sister Limas​

Dinner with AJ :)
Sister Vilignia!!! No but really, we're sisters.

Owning those country roads.

Post a Comment

my lovely chaos © . QUINN CREATIVES DESIGN .