instagram

Good News and Tender Moments

Monday, September 22, 2014

I'm just going to list 'em down for ya :)

1. PATRICK BADGER GOT BAPTIZED ON SATURDAY!!!!! Aw yaaaah. I'm not going to go into detail about Patrick because you've received a whole essay and a half about him from me already haha. But OH MY HEART. Sis Tonnies emailed me and told me he was just so happy. AND BONUS: His mom is apparently a less active member. OH SHOOT. The Lord definitely sends us to places for a reason!

2. President and Sister Morgan invited us over for dinner in the mission home before the Women's Broadcast. OH YAY! I was just telling Sister Morgan during interviews that I feel like I don't get to be around her as much I wish I was. Hooray for mission mommas. 

3. Sis Morgan put us in charge of the musical number for Mission Conference. "COME UNTO CHRIST", fo'shooooooz.

4. Mission Conference isn't going to be split up Missouri vs Illinois this year!!!! BOO YAH. I get to see ALL the missionaries in my last transfer and say my goodbyes? THANK YOOUUS!

5. Debbie Gray is getting baptized this Saturday! Her and her family have just become so dear to my heart! Every time I come over, I know I'm home. Her kids are pretty much my siblings. It's great. 

6. From the Sisters we are over alone, we have SIX BAPTISMS all together this Saturday. THATS WHAT YOU CALL HASTENING OF THE WORK!!!!! We are so far behind our goal of 521 baptisms for this year, and we desperately need 1 baptism per transfer per area. OUR SISTERS JUST SCORED THAT. Oh they are so amazing :')

7. The Oakville ward doesn't have any sisters, so they've asked Sister Webster and I to teach the missionary discussions to their young women on an individual basis. YEEEEUS, I love working with the youth. I remember how fragile I was and how much the Young Women's program and working with the missionaries had a huge influence on my life. So I'm suuuuper excited to be working with these young women on developing their testimony and conversion. 

8. Stake Conference was AMAZING. Elder George F. Rhodes Jr of the 70 pretty much directed both session of conference. There were no programs or anything. He would just direct it the way the Spirit told him to. It was cray-cray. Sister Webster got called up to bare her testimony. Oh, my companion is so beautiful! She gave such a beautifully powerful testimony of the Book of Mormon. And Elder Rhodes is THE BOMB when it comes to teaching. Holy moly, was I edified. I'll add a few notes at the end.

9. Filipiiiiinos! Sister Vilignia introduced me to a Filipino in her ward. And in an instant we were like best friends. BAHAHA. Oh Filipinos. Her name is Leahona and she is from Devao and moved to Missouri 3 yrs ago. The sisters were a little surprised how quick we became friends, but Leahona was like, "no you gotta look our for Filipinos. We just need to gather". Haha so true. AND, I got to see the step-mom of one of the members' in my 2nd area. I was like "ah, how do I know her?" (she's Filipino too), and she reminded me haha. She was with another Filipino named Sonja who is ALSO GETTING BAPTIZED ON SATURDAY. Oh my lanta. ITS SO AWESOME.

10. Our upcoming week is BOOKED. Just the way I like it! :) I hate seeing my planner empty. And it's a huuuuuge test of faith on my part for me to plan at night knowing that the day I'm planning for has nothing written. That has been my struggle this whole transfer. I had exchanges with Sister Adamson coming up, and the day we were supposed to be together had absolutely nothing planned. But the Spirit helped me plan the night before, my page looked crazy by the end of the night, aaaaand we found one new investigator and had 3 lessons taught that day. WOOT! Being absolutely booked is awesome and is the way I like things rolling...but when you gotta call people to switch appointments around in the span of 7 minutes brings the anxiety out like a mad dog. I've had to do that a few times this week, including this morning. But I'm all good now :) The Lord makes things work out!

Now for my Tender Moments:
1. We had interviews with President this week. I've been so excited for interviews and kept saying, "I'm so ready to talk to Dad right now!". I get in the room and President Morgan starts updating me on Toronto, of course :p Apparently the Mission President in Toronto is one of his really good friends. Then he asks me about Laura's wedding and my plans for when I get home. I then say, "I thought I had my plans straight until I got that letter in the mail from you today about BYU!" He stares at me blankly for a few seconds and says, "oh that? I just have to send that to all the missionaries." After discussing school a little bit, he then continues on to say, "but if for some crazy reason you end up at BYU, you're going to have to come see Sister Morgan and I". I then proceed to say, "are you kidding me? When you guys go home, I am flying out to be there to see you." The room goes silent. President Morgan has two gestures that he's very well known for, and we missionaries copy him all the time. The first is when he cocks his head to the side as he's trying to comprehend what has just come out of your mouth, takes his glasses off, and then puts his hand under his chin, staring at you, trying to figure you out (that's happened to me once, ever. It was pretty funny because I almost took back what I said haha). The second is when he gets emotional and he's tapping the table/pulpit slowly but firmly with his finger as he's trying to muster out the words he's going to say. At that moment, he did the latter. He's choking back tears, saying "Sister Limas..." in a dont-start-with-me tone of voice. He gets up and comes over to me to shake my hand and I'm thinking, "are you kidding me? My interview is not over already!" I stand up to shake his hand and say, "no, but really President. I've loved having you and Sister Morgan as my President." I'm starting to tear up as I say this and now he's close to bawling. He grabs my shoulders and says, "we've loved it too". Then he flips me around and starts pushing me out the door to get himself to stop crying. OH MY HEART. I just love President and Sister Morgan.

2. We went over the baptismal interview questions with Debbie, and the moment she read the last one, I started tearing up. The last question says, "When you are baptized, you covenant with God that you are willing to take upon yourself the name of Christ and keep His commandments throughout your life. Are you ready to make this covenant and strive to be faithful to it?" As she read that, I couldn't help but feel the Spirit because I knew she was ready. And it's never dawned on my so hard before of how precious and sacred the covenants she is making are. Especially because of all that she's given up to make them. Oh, so beautiful!

3. Have you sung verses 3,4,5 and 7 of How Firm a Foundation before? We stood as we sung that at Stake Conference and I just got so super emotional! The lyrics, all together say: "Fear not, i am with thee; oh, be not dismayed, For I am thy God and will still give thee aid. I'll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand, upheld by my righteous, upheld by my righteous, upheld by my righteous, omnipotent hand. When through the deep waters I call thee to go, the river of sorrow shall not thee o'erflow, for I will be with thee, thy troubles to bless, And sanctify to thee, and sanctify to thee, and sanctify to thee they deepest distress. When through fiery trials thy pathway shall lie, my grace, all sufficient, shall by thy supply. The flame shall not hurt thee; I only design thy dross to consume, thy dross to consume, thy dross to consume and thy gold to refine. The soul that on Jesus hath leaned for repose I will not, I cannot, desert to his foes; that soul, though all hell should endeavor to shake, I'll never, no never, I'll never, no never, I'll never, no never, no never forsake!" Elder Rhodes pointed out that this is a special hymn like no other because it is written like the Lord speaking to us. I then realized why I was crying in the first place! The lyrics I've written above pretty much describe my whole mission experience thus far. Gah, that song is so empowering! Heavenly Father's love is so empowering!

4. We taught Debbie about the prophet, and the priesthood & auxilaries on Sunday afternoon. We were showing her some gospel art, and as I was staring at the picture of John the Baptist giving Joseph Smith the Aaronic Priesthood (which is a photo I don't see too often), I started getting emotional. The Spirit just filled my heart and confirmed to me the truth of the restoration of the Gospel and the Priesthood. If the restoration of that Priesthood didn't happen, there would be no reason why I was sitting in Debbie's living room as a missionary, teaching her about the blessings of the Gospel. She wouldn't even be doing what she was to make covenants with Heavenly Father. Just like Elder Ballard shared in, Our Search for Happiness, sometimes it's in the quiet, still moments that the Spirit manifests truth where testimony turns into sure knowledge.

Sorry, that wasn't supposed to be as long as it was. I was hoping numbering them off would make it short and sweet, but as I was typing it, more and more good events from this week just kept popping into my head. To finish, I just want to quote Elder Rhodes (its a conglomeration of my notes from the last thing he said. my notes dont do it any justice):

"We are to choose eternal life. It's only by and through the Atonement of Jesus Christ. 'And this is life eternal that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent'. Eternal Life is about who you are. Are we developing the virtues like Christ did? It comes down to the decision to seek to have our heart like the Savior's heart. When this happens, hearts will be centered in creating an eternal family. It's only through faith in Jesus Christ. As we honour eternal families, the adversary has no power to stop us from exaltation. We must change our heart to some degree, and never be the same again."

Words to definitely ponder :)

Aaaaand Julian Sookhoo suggested I watch this video and said, "I am amazed at how far the power of a smile can go". Powerful words right there. I watched the video and I'm like crying. So basically, y'all just need to watch this too. I hope this can be a pick-me-up for your week :)



Have a wonderful week!
See you in 8 ;D
MUCHO LOVIN
Sister Limas

Exchanges with Sister Adamson

With the Sandy Creek Sisters

My coooomp. Before Stake Conference.

Post a Comment

my lovely chaos © . QUINN CREATIVES DESIGN .