instagram

'How did you know to get married to Alex sooner than later?'

Tuesday, June 9, 2015

One of my dear friends, Eloise Bucais, texted me said question this afternoon. After responding to her question, she suggested I post it up on le blog. So here it is :)

General Conference (April 2015). We were planning on getting married the following summer, so we went to General Conference with thoughts and questions regarding the matter. For me, it was L. Whitney Clayton's talk on faith. The Spirit was very clear in saying, "you just need to do it." I didn't know what the Spirit meant because we were already planning, so I was a little confused.  
The next day after conference, Alex said his parents asked if we were planning to get married and that maybe we should think about doing it this year. This was out of the blue because up until this point, his parents were telling him he needed to date around before getting too serious with me (fun fact: I am Alex's first girlfriend!) I told my sister this and she said, "yeah Alex told me yesterday he was thinking you guys should get married this year instead. I think something from the Priesthood session really hit him."  
(TBH, I think that was the hint from the Spirit of what He meant by "just do it".) 
So we talked about it and listed all the pros and cons. My main concern was that it was too fast and that we didn't have enough money. But the Spirit telling me I "just need[ed] to do it" was the confirmation I needed to have a little faith in the situation even if I didn't know Alex as long or as well as I would have liked. 
Alex said that if finances were my only concern, then we won't have a problem if we continue to keep the commandments. The more we talked about it, the more right August felt. We finally took it to the temple at the end of the week to make our final decision. And just like every other time I went to the temple with marriage and Alex as my question, I got a good feeling inside. Alex said he felt like he needed to take this step of faith even though he didn't feel completely ready. 
Both sides of our family have expressed their concerns, especially with it being too fast/not finishing school yet, but the Spirit has helped us answer their questions. Alex says, "if I had to make a decision of making the next covenant (promise) with God and you this summer or next, why would I wait?"

I know. I write essay texts, okay? Haha.

Now that I've reminisced through typing that (twice), I want to tell you my thoughts now.

Choosing Alex is one of the best decisions I have ever made (the other being my decision to go on and stay on my mission).

What were the words of L. Whitney Clayton that sent the prompting from the Spirit? THIS:
"Over time you will come to see that you have made the best choice you could possibly have made. Your courageous decision to believe in Him will bless you immeasurably forever".
The first thing that popped into my head was my mission--how it took me 5 years to figure out if I should and when I should go. And then when the time was finally nearing for me to leave, I was debating whether or not it was still the right choice. I struggled my first couple areas trying to understand why I was there, especially when there were other decisions I could have gone with.

BUT

over time, the Lord had shown me (and had helped me be sensitive enough to recognize) all the reasons why I was supposed to be there. Choosing the mission over what I thought I should have chose was undeniably the best choice I could have possibly made. The Lord knows better.

Right after this flashback of the mission was when the Spirit said "just do it". In my journal I wrote:
"I know eternal marriage is a huge step of faith. It's comforting to know that in time I will see it's the best decision I make [...] So I need to go forward in faith and trust the prompting I've received through prayer and in the temple." 
So here we are, 2 months after general conference, planning a wedding and preparing to start an eternal marriage in 53 more days! 

The past 2 months I have had worries, anxiety attacks, overwhelming stress, and non-stop tears. But I also want you to know that despite all that, I know choosing to be with Alex is the best decision I could make. Is it too early to say that? Heck no. Since making our decision to choose each other for eternity, I have become so much closer to my eternal companion-to-be! Every day we grow together. Day by day Heavenly Father unfolds another layer of why Alex is my best choice. I love him so very much! If the past 2 months have been filled with overwhelming emotions, I can definitely count on the fact that marriage is going to be hard.

But you know what? It's going to be okay. I am so excited for this new adventure! I look forward to those experiences (whether they be fun or hard) that will give Alex and I opportunities to continue to grow as a companionship and strengthen our relationship.  I know what Elder L. Whitney Clayton said is true! I know that when our lives are centered on the Gospel of Jesus Christ, we need not fear. I know that our Saviour is the perfect example of love. I know that the more we seek Him, He will teach us to love as He does.

Mucho Lovin'
Ariana Rae Limas (soon-to-be del Mundo!)


One of my journal pages from General Conference :)


Post a Comment

my lovely chaos © . QUINN CREATIVES DESIGN .